Aside from the more common joining methods, modern vehicle constructions also make use of advanced adhesives. These offer a range of advantages, opening up new possibilities in the fields of vehicle design, construction and safety engineering.
1.1 Car body joining methods
1.2 Advantages of joining with adhesives
• No substrate damage
• Joining of dissimilar substrates (e.g. steel with aluminium)
• Unimpaired structural integrity
• Even load transmission
• Uniform stress distribution
• Noise and vibration reduction
• Additional sealing prevents water and moisture from penetrating between joined parts, thus eliminating a major cause of corrosion.